| Website |
Woodward’s new state of the art Conference Center delivers a big city atmosphere in a small, friendly community. Visitors to the Conference Center will be greeted at the door with a smile and a friendly “hello.”
The new facility features over 29,000 square feet, accommodating approximately 650 people in a round table event as well as an impressive 1,200 in a lecture type seating. There is enough space to allow approximately 110 vendors to setup booths for display. The Conference Center’s main hall can be divided into 3 smaller rooms that are each equipped with a projector to show presentations on. In addition to the main hall, there are 3 training rooms that will hold an additional 75 people.
Located directly across the street from the Conference Center is the beautiful Experiment Lake and park that visitors can view as they gaze through the center’s wall of glass windows or by walking out onto the center’s patio area. The center also features modern facilities such as restrooms and kitchen. The Woodward Conference Center will serve as a hub for multi-purpose conferences and an education facility.
The Woodward Convention & Visitors Bureau serves as the primary tourism resource for Northwest Oklahoma, but the friendly staff at the CVB is also dedicated to providing excellent service for groups wishing to meet in Woodward. The CVB staff will assist in customizing your meeting arrangements based on the groups need including lodging, event venues, dining, catering, entertainment and local attractions in Northwest Oklahoma. The staff will also provide “spouse programs” for additional guests not formally involved in your meeting.
Just north of Woodward wind turbines line the horizon and many more wind farms are under construction in the area due to the area’s prime conditions to produce wind energy. OG&E’s OU Spirit Wind Farm is under construction south of Woodward and will be the largest wind farm in Oklahoma upon its completion.
The partnership between OG&E and the University of Oklahoma will meet all of the University’s energy needs and is one of the largest renewable energy agreements by a public university in the nation. Completion is set for December 2009. Six miles south of Woodward on County Road N-S 198th.
| Website |
Downtown Woodward features one of Oklahoma’s premiere performing arts centers. Once a movie theater, the Woodward Arts Theatre now hosts community plays as well as arts camps and special performers brought in from around the globe.
The building was purchased 25 years ago, and turned into a performance based theater. The theater is operated by the Woodward Arts and Theatre Council, whose mission is to provide a variety of cultural experiences to the area. In addition to a summer arts camp, productions are staged each year by the Woodward Lite Opera, On Stage Woodward and the Missoula Children’s Theater.
Next door is the Josie Adams Cultural Center, a popular event venue throughout the year.
Woodward Arts Theatre
818 Main Avenue
Woodward, OK 73801
Phone: (580) 256-7120
Fax: (580) 256-7121
Woodward Main Street became a Main Street Program in 1990 through the State of Oklahoma Main Street Program.Main Street has a Four Point approach towards keeping Main Streets vital and active. Economic Restructuring is Revitalization of buildings, not only with inside and outside facades, but finding new uses for buildings and property.
Organization is keeping funds generated to operate the program, having membership drives and recruitment for volunteers.
Design is to keep Main Street in tip top shape in appearance from signs, sidewalks, street lights, window displays, parking and landscaping.
Promotions keep events happening on Main Street whether retail, festivals, or other activities.
All four points are very strong in Woodward in keeping our Main Street alive and active. Woodward Main Street office was housed in City Hall from 1990 to 2011 but in 2011 the Board of Main Street stepped outside of the usual and housed their office in a Historic Gas Station at 11th and Main. Having the office located on Main Street the merchants and citizens can stop by this office for information at anytime.
The Main Street Executive Director is at the office to assist in bringing new businesses to Main Street or helping a business relocate to Main Street. The Director helps established businesses with keeping up with any needs that they might need, such as financial advice, hiring help, promoting their business, window displays, inventory or running the cash register.
Woodward Main Street Program is in the top 10 programs in the State of Oklahoma and has received many awards over the years.Woodward Main Street is the heart and soul of Woodward, Oklahoma.
The memorial is the culmination of an endeavor by the local American Legion Post and its partnership with the City of Woodward.
Also noteworthy, at the site and on City flagpoles throughout the community, is the flying of the Blue Star flag in honor of the City’s participation in the America Supporting Americans program under which the City has adopted Bravo Company, 179th Infantry Regiment Combat Team of the Oklahoma National Guard.
Woodward County Veterans Memorial
2009 Williams Avenue
Woodward, OK 73801
Located at Crystal Beach Park the 9-hole layout was designed by Robert Dunning in 1953.
The popular course includes a driving range and putting green. For a quick round of golf in a convenient location this is the spot.
Woodward Municipal Golf Course
523 Temple Houston Drive
Woodward, OK 78301
Phone: (580) 256-9028
When Woodward banker Len. L. Stine had his beautiful, large home built in 1916 dying poor was probably the last thing on his mind. Stine was the owner of Woodward’s First National Bank which was built on the corner of 8th and Main in 1901. Fifteen years later he built the elaborate mansion that is known today as the Stine-Bradbury House.
Stine was a prominent and wealthy man in the town and had a wife and one child. He was the first person in Woodward to purchase an electric car and it was said the car was so large an engineer’s license was required to operate it. Stine’s life of luxury came to an abrupt halt in 1932 when his bank went under.
“He had bought German war bonds,” said Plains Indians and Pioneers Museum Curator Ian Swart. “And, of course, American sentiment toward the Germans at the time wasn’t the best.”
The people of Woodward thought that the German war bonds were going to cause the loss of their money so they pulled all of their money out of the bank. The bank was forced to close. According to Swart the war bonds later turned out to be a good investment but Stine was not able to reap the benefits.
“He was a poor, poor man,” said Swart. “Another bank foreclosed on the house and his wife left him.” Swart said it is believed that Stine was living in a small shack behind the house. He did not survive much longer. According to Swart, another prominent Woodward family moved into the house shortly after its first vacancy.
Harold Bradbury, owner of Bradbury Produce, purchased the home and continued living it for many years. His son, Harold “Brad” Bradbury, Jr. also lived in the home with his wife, Maudie, for many years. Bradbury, Jr. was a local photographer and he and his wife opened Woodward’s first drive-in restaurant.
The restaurant was called the Wagon Wheel and it was located in an old guard tower shack brought to Woodward from the POW camp in Alva.
The building is still in Woodward and is now Carl’s Barber Shop. The Stine-Bradbury House is a large facility and includes a ballroom and also an elevator which was put in place in 1969. The house was the first building in Woodward to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places and has undergone a complete renovation in recent years and is often the site of receptions – including one for the Oklahoma Conference of Mayors this summer.
1001 Tenth Street
Woodward, OK 73801
Phone: (580) 254-2720
Visitors can follow Woodward’s history from the early days until now at this jewel. From the murals on the outside to the walk through history, visitors are touched by something each time they enter the museum’s doors.
The Plains Indians and Pioneers Museum’s dedication to collecting, preserving, and exhibiting the history of northwest Oklahoma is apparent and is a visitor’s must-see. The PIPM permanent collection includes personal items of the frontier town’s most famous son, lawyer/gunfighter Temple Houston.
Notably, Houston’s famous courtroom plea, “The Soiled Dove Plea” in defense of a “fallen woman,” has been upheld by the Harvard Law Review and other legal publications as the perfect closing argument.
The Museum recently added to the Temple Houston Collection with the gun Houston used in a notorious shoot-out with Ed Jennings.
The Museum is also the site of art exhibits and historical programming throughout the year. The Museum serves as Woodward’s Visitors’ Center providing tourism information and assistance to area visitors. The Museum’s Gift Shop has Oklahoma-themed items available for sale.
Oklahoma Courthouse Legends
In words and pictures, Oklahoma Courthouse Legends spins yarns about Oklahoma’s 77 county courthouses. David Fitzgerald’s photographs and Kent F. Frates’ essays capture Oklahoma’s turbulent history with tales of outlaws, lawyers, judges and colorful historical characters.
The essay on Woodward County deals with the notorious life of lawyer, gunslinger, Temple Houston and features a photograph of Ian Swart, the curator of the Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum holding Houston’s 1883 .45 Colt revolver. The pistol along with other Houston memorabilia can be seen at the museum.
The book may be purchased online at www.courthouselegends.com.
Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum
Hours: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
2009 Williams Avenue
Woodward, OK 73801
Phone: (580) 256-6136
Fax: (580) 256-2577
The trail includes 5.5+ miles of paved walking trails, a lake, and 1.5 miles of nature trails. The trail offers not only a beautiful and quality place to exercise but is also a virtual wildlife refuge in the heart of the city.
Deer herds and turkey flocks are a common sight within the park area and along Woodward’s city streets.